Thursday 14 September 2017

My first 1440 (FITA) with 720


My first 1440 was quite an experience, not really being able to see your own arrows at 90 meters makes it quite difficult to adjust your sight. Especially since we are 3 on the butt. The fact that one of the guys also shot Carbon Core Blackbirds was good to see more people on the line using these arrows for competition. Nic Weber really made it look easy at the range with his current setup although his arrows were also mostly dark carbon, also with black and white fletches.

A few rounds in I found out a cap touching your string can be quite catastrophic, as I was a full draw on 70m I was not aware my cap was pushing on my string. As I released the arrow went about 2 meters high over the target into the safety wall. I can at least say after retrieving my arrow the tip was fine, the shaft was fine and everything was still in perfect condition. Lesson learned. No more caps that can touch my string no matter what I do! When we finally approached 50 meters I was much more comfortable and at 30 after 108 arrows I was ready to abuse the gold! Thankfully that saved me quite a bit. My first 1440 went okay managing 1280/1440 with an arrow gone AWOL, fletch fleeing mid shot also ending right beside the target.

The next day was the 720 which saw quite a few more archers on the line. Things did not go too bad during the ranking round, unfortunately, the eliminations were a bit harsh with the tired arms of the previous day.

Markspark is one of those ranges that sporadically get the wild winds. As I finished my 720 I did find a pleasant surprise that I got Bronze for 1440.

Another event done and dusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment